Purple Power Smoothie!
Purple Power Smoothie
Donated generously by Ali From Nutri Know-How
Start the morning with a healthy kick.
Purple foods are especially high in anti-oxidants which can protect against signs of ageing – including cognitive decline. In addition, beetroot supports post exercise recovery.
Packed full of vitamins and minerals and two portions of your veg and fruit target for the day, this smoothie is refreshing and easy to drink.
With its balance of protein, carbs, fibre and healthy fats this smoothie should keep you going for many hours.
If you are using this as a post exercise smoothie, add in a scoop of protein powder to help your muscles recover.
Makes 2 servings
- 1 cup of blackberries
- 250ml unsweetened plant based milk (eg soya, almond, or hemp)
- 2 tablespoons of plain unsweetened yogurt – you could use soya yogurt
- 1 vacu-packed cooked beetroot; or one grated raw beetroot
- 1 eating apple – cored and chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- One tablespoon of linseeds
- 100ml of apple juice
- 100ml of prune juice
- Optional: ½ banana – frozen if possible
Optional: Blackberries, blueberries or pomegranate arils, plus chia seeds, hemp seeds - to dress the smoothie
1. Blend all the ingredients together until smooth. You can experiment with the quantities of liquid to get the consistency you like best.
2. You can also dress with blackberries, blueberries, pomegranate (or any of your favourite berries) and sprinkle over some chia seeds or hemp seeds. That’s it!